The legal use, possession, purchase, and sale of marijuana is becoming more common across the United States. With the freedom of enjoying marijuana comes the responsibility of using it in a manner that does not harm anyone. As a DUI lawyer in Dekalb County GA can tell you, this includes other drivers and passengers on the road. For this reason, driving under the influence of marijuana is treated by law enforcement and the judicial system very similarly to driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. If you were charged for a DUI of marijuana, contact our DUI lawyer in Dekalb County GA at Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. immediately. A delay in hiring a skilled lawyer could have a negative effect on the outcome of your case.
If a driver is arrested and convicted of a DUI of marijuana charge, they will be punished in several ways. The severity of their punishment will depend on their circumstances, including whether or not they have past convictions for DUI and if anyone was hurt as a result of their negligence. With the help of a DUI lawyer in Dekalb County GA, it’s possible to have your charge dropped or at least reduced. Call our office and request a free consultation to learn more.
Potential Penalties for a DUI of Marijuana Conviction
After a review of your case and a thorough understanding of what led to your arrest for DUI of marijuana, your DUI lawyer in Dekalb County GA can provide specifics on what penalties you face if convicted. Without knowing the specifics of your case, it’s impossible to anticipate with accuracy what you are facing. You may be penalized in any of the following ways:
- The suspension of your driving privileges, possibly permanently if your license is revoked.
- Points added to your driving record.
- Substantially higher cost for insurance if your driving privileges are reinstated.
- Jail time of one day up to a year, possibly longer if you hurt someone while DUI of marijuana.
- A fine up to thousands of dollars, including court fees.
- Up to more than one hundred hours of community service.
Additional Possible Repercussions for a DUI of Marijuana Conviction
As a DUI lawyer in Dekalb County GA can tell you, a conviction from this charge can impact many areas of the person’s life and have long term consequences. For this reason, it’s critical to enlist the legal services of a skilled DUI lawyer in Dekalb County GA as soon as possible. If you or your lawyer does not request a hearing within a week of your arrest, your license may be automatically suspended. There are additional actions that you and your lawyer can take to fight a criminal charge as serious as a DUI. Without the help of a DUI lawyer in Dekalb County GA, in addition to being punished in the ways listed above, you could experience the following:
- The loss of your job if it requires you to drive a vehicle during work hours, or for commuting to and from work and you have lost your driving privileges.
- The limitation of future jobs if you lost your driving privileges.
Call a DUI Lawyer in Dekalb County GA Who Georgia Drivers Trust
If you were arrested for a DUI, contact The Lynch Law Group immediately to speak with our DUI Lawyer Dekalb County GA drivers turn to for help.