Decatur attorney The Lynch Law Group is a top rated defense attorney in Georgia. As a former public defender, he is well versed in legal procedures and tactics used by prosecutors against those accused of crimes. The Lynch Law Group is an experienced courtroom litigator but will make every effort to resolve a situation so that his clients can avoid a trial.
Gun laws in the United States vary by state with some oversight from the federal government. Many variables can come into play which is why citizens can unexpectedly find themselves facing criminal charges in relation to the use, possession, purchase, or sale of firearms. Not every Decatur attorney is familiar with the sometimes complex and confusing gun regulations. However, if you have been charged with a gun-related crime, contact The Lynch Law Group for legal guidance. He is available for a free consultation by calling (404) 373-7735.
The Second Amendment
The second amendment to the United States Constitution states that Americans have the right to “keep and bear arms.” Though the full interpretation of that amendment is hotly contested, it speaks to gun ownership in the United States.
Georgia Gun Laws
Georgia laws that govern guns are extensive. As an experienced criminal defense attorney in Decatur GA, The Lynch Law Group can provide more information to you about the following as it pertains to your case:
- There is no waiting period to buy “long” guns, which are shotguns and rifles or handguns;
- There is a 60-day waiting period to obtain a license to legally carry a handgun;
- People who have been hospitalized for alcohol or drug abuse, or for mental issues cannot legally own a firearm of any kind;
- People who have been convicted of a drug charge;
- People who have been convicted of a felon cannot legally own a firearm of any kind;
- People convicted of having a deadly weapon while in a school zone;
- Fugitives from the law; and
- People under the age of 18.
Firearms That Are Illegal in Georgia
The state of Georgia prohibits the sale, purchase, and possession of certain types of guns. Some are easily identifiable, while others are not. A Decatur attorney who is familiar with Georgia’s gun laws, such as The Lynch Law Group, can investigate the details of your case if it includes an illegal firearm charge. Here are some general guidelines about what is considered illegal arms in Georgia:
- Fully automatic weapons. These weapons can fire continuously while a finger is holding down the trigger. A semi-automatic weapon requires one pull of the trigger for each shot;
- Sawed off rifles and shotguns. This refers to barrels that are dramatically shortened;
- Silencers for weapons;
- Bazookas; and
- Hand grenades.
Free Gun Law Case Review
A criminal conviction for a gun charge can result in serious prison time. Consult a Decatur attorney immediately if you have been charged with such a crime or have concerns. The Lynch Law Group is a trusted and respected Decatur attorney who can be reached at (404) 373-7735 for a free and confidential initial consultation.